Welcome to year 5
- Mr D Boyer, Miss A Greenhill, Miss E Druce, Miss T Connolly, Mrs E Langley, Mrs L Sinclair and Mrs J Hartshorn
- Our year 6 champions are Annabel and Ayla.
- Please ensure that your child is ready for whatever the day, week and term brings. Full pencil cases, PE kits, musical instruments and homework completed well and handed in on time, will all help your child to succeed.
- Practise spellings, learn times tables to 12×12, read for leisure and understanding
- PE and Games are usually Mondays and Tuesdays
- Library days are 5DB Thursday and 5AG Fridays. The Library is open at other times too so that Accelerated Reader quizzes can be taken and books changed.
Expectations (including uniform)
- Aim high and let your light shine.
- We use the Accelerated Reader scheme to help our children read, and understand, a huge range of interesting and exciting texts. We also read texts to support our projects and learning, for example, Michael Morpurgo’s Kensuke’s Kingdom, Berlie Doherty’s Street Child or Phoenix by S F Said.
- The Termly Curriculum Outline provides more details on content, but we aim to develop your child’s writing abilities through our IPEELL approach. This looks at the structure and content of writing, encourages the children to become self-regulating, and also includes lessons on grammar and spelling.
- Again, please see the termly curriculum overview, which outlines the year 5 Maths content explored. We will look at number and place value, addition and subtraction, multiplication and division, fractions and statistics too.
- A thorough knowledge of times tables (and division facts) to 12 x 12 makes Maths so much easier. Read, write, practise, chant, Times Tables Rockstars…
- A good understanding of the four operations (+ – X /) is really important.
- We hope that homework supports and develops your child’s class based learning. We cannot possible hope to cover everything during the School day, but homework will help to develop and explore ideas met at school. Time to explore the topics in more detail can make your child’s learning journey more exciting and complete.
- We would like your child to spend up to 45 minutes per subject per week.
- Please ensure that the work is neat and tidy, completed in black pen and handed in on time.
- Do speak with your child’s teacher if there are problems
- English – out Tuesday, due in Monday
- Maths – out Friday, due in Wednesday
- Spellings – out Thursday, tested the following Thursday
- Please do read with your child whenever possible – reading to them as well as hearing them – and then discuss the text. A good range of challenging books will help your child gain ideas, themes and vocabulary that will help enrich their writing and reading in class as well as their future lives.
PE (indoor and outdoor)
- We have indoor and outdoor sessions most weeks, so please ensure your child has a good, warm kit for the coldest winter days please. This will help them get the most from dance, drama, netball, tennis and basketball sessions.
- PE kit should be in accordance with school colours (navy).
- Well stocked pencil case – pencils, a good quality black writing pen, ruler, small selection of pencil colours, rubber, sharpener
- A full, labelled, warm PE kit
- Small dictionary and thesaurus
How parents can help
- Providing a well-stocked pencil case
- A complete change of clothes and trainers for PE – t-shirt, shorts, tracksuit top and bottoms – all labelled please
- Good school day routines
- Helping with homework – or at least checking what homework there is and day due in
- Practising times tables up to 12×12 with the associated division facts
- Talking about the school topics – we will encourage the children to talk rather than grunt with you!
Wider curriculum / trips and visits
Y5 Trips and visits are reviewed from time to time but currently include:
- Visiting our church (St Laurence) to support our RE topics and to present a wonderful Christmas Carol Concert;
- The National Space Centre, Leicester to explore our Earth and Space Science topic
- Attending the exciting Royal Latin School’s Year 5 Science Fair to gain a glimpse of Secondary school science
Work to do at home
In case of school closure, we have prepared a sheet of fun and educational activities to do at home.