Welcome to Year 4
- In Year 4 the teachers are Miss Lefebvre and Miss Denial
- We will be supported by several LSAs – Mrs Hill, Miss Connolly, Miss Addley and Mrs Sinclair.
- Mrs Chapman will be teaching Miss Lefebvre’s class on a Thursday morning.
- Your child will spend a whole day in their new classroom with their new teachers in July.
- We make regular contact with the children in the classrooms and playground over the second half of the Summer term.
- There will be meetings between teachers.
- Detailed records of attainment and next steps will be passed on. Also valuable information about the children’s individual needs and ways of learning.
- Many routines during the week will continue in the same way for your child.
- Assembly each day
- Library once a week or daily for children on Accelerated Reader
- ICT once a week in the computing room
- PE twice a week, indoor and outdoor
- Playtimes and lunchtimes
- As in previous years we set our expectations high – for your child’s progress and attainment and for behaviour.
- In Year 4 we use Golden tickets as part of behaviour system to reinforce positive behaviours with an end of week reward.
- We will use positive reinforcement of our expectations as the first step in maintaining good behaviour.
- Any unacceptable behaviour will be communicated to you verbally or via a thinking card we will send home.
- Each week a child will be selected to be Child of the Week. They will be presented with a certificate at an assembly you will be invited to and have tea with the Head Teacher.
- In Year 4 children have guided reading sessions.
- We put in place reading interventions for children if needed.
- Children will be using the Accelerated Reading programme during Year 4.
- They will have an Accelerated Reading book and a library book from the library.
- When they have completed their Accelerated Reading book, they will need to complete the quiz on their book in school.
- In class, children will do regular Reading Comprehension tasks.
- IPEELL is used to teach all units in English.
- Children complete a Cold Task at the beginning of a unit, an Amber task in the middle and a Hot Task at the end.
- They score their work after each task.
- Regular analysis of texts happens during weekly lessons which covers the structure and language featured.
- Weekly handwriting lessons take place.
- Children are taught Maths in their mixed ability classes.
- Planning and teaching will take into account your child’s confidence, level of understanding and pace of work.
- We teach to the same objectives to all children. Pace and teaching and challenge is matched to individual children.
- Challenge is for all children in our Maths lessons.
- The children choose from 3 chilli challenges to complete during each lesson where appropriate.
- Cracking times tables are given to children weekly to build up their knowledge of times tables up to 12 x 12.
The wider curriculum
- Our topics for Year 4 are: Ancient Egyptians, Mountains and Romans.
- We also look at these topics within our ICT, English and Art lessons.
- We include Wow days and practical experiences whenever we can.
- Year 4 have specific Egyptians and Roman Days during the year to engage the children’s interest.
- Our Science units for Year 4 are: Living Things and Habitats, Animals including Humans, Electricity, Sound and Solids, Liquids and Gases.
- Year 4 will go on a residential to Woodrow during the Summer Term.
- Children will bring home a reading book every day – please support them with regular reading at home. 20 minutes reading each day will help them develop as good readers.
- Spellings will begin in week 2.
- We will also set tasks on “My Maths” during half terms.
- Homework will be given out on the first Friday on the half term in their homework books.
- Children should choose a task from the homework sheet to complete each week.
- Books should be handed in for marking on a Wednesday and will be returned on Friday.
- Evidence of spelling practise should be found in books.
Home / school communication
- There will be parents evenings in October and February.
- There will be written reports in the Spring and Summer terms.
- We have an open door policy – we will meet your child at the door and see them out to you every evening and will be happy to receive quick verbal messages in the morning or to have a longer chat in the afternoons.
- Please speak to us about any concerns you have – as most things can be quickly resolved if we work together.
- Pale blue polo shirt or long or short sleeved shirt or blouse
- Grey Trousers, shorts, skirts or pinafore dress
- Navy blue sweatshirt
- Black shoes (no trainers or boots)
- In Summer, blue/white checked dress
- Plain navy blue t-shirt.
- Navy shorts
- Plimsolls or black trainers
- As above +
- Plain dark tracksuit / joggers / sweatshirt top
- Earrings need to be removed or taped for all PE sessions.
- Water bottles – all year please.
- Pencil cases should be able to fit inside your child’s draw.
- Please send reading book and diary in each day.
- PE kit should remain in school. We will send home each half term for a wash.
- Please make sure your PE kit and school uniform is named.
- Please make sure your child has appropriate warm clothing for outdoor PE at all times.
How can you support at home?
- Regular reading
- Support and join in with homework
- Support with spelling
- Support with My Maths tasks
- Regular times table practice and telling the time at home with your child.
- Communicate with us quickly about any issues or concerns you have – you know your child best of all….
The Year 4 team look forward to working closely with you over the next year to ensure the continued happiness and progress of your children.