Welcome to Year 4
Current Isolation Timetables and Work.
The timetable below will provide your child with learning linked to the units of study that will be taught in class. Please only use this if your child is required to isolate after testing positive for Covid-19 but they remain well. Children are not expected to work at home if unwell.
Autumn Term Spellings, Handwriting and Useful Documents
Meet the Team!
- In Year 4 the teachers are Mrs Faiers and Mr Wright
- We will be supported by several LSAs – Miss Connolly, Mrs Robins, Mrs Grant and Mrs Langley.
- Mrs Hartshorn will be teaching Mrs Faier’s class on a Tuesday, with Mr Higgs and Mr Wells teaching both classes for PE. She will also teach 4SW on a Wednesday morning.
- Many routines during the week will continue in the same way for your child.
- Assembly each day.
- The Library is open to KS2, so we will visit on a weekly basis (Wednesday morning).
- ICT once a week in the computing room
- PE twice a week, indoor and outdoor (with swimming on a Thursday morning).
- Playtimes and lunchtimes.
- As in previous years we set our expectations high – for your child’s progress and attainment and for behaviour.
- In Year 4 we use Golden tickets (House Points) as part of behaviour system to reinforce positive behaviours with an end of week reward.
- We will use positive reinforcement of our expectations as the first step in maintaining good behaviour.
- Any unacceptable behaviour will be communicated to you verbally.
- Each week a child will be selected to be Child of the Week. They will be presented with their certificate in an assembly.
- In Year 4 children have guided reading sessions called Book Talk.
- We put in place reading interventions for children if needed.
- Children will be using the Accelerated Reading programme during Year 4.
- They will have an Accelerated Reading book and a library book from the library.
- When they have completed their Accelerated Reading book, they will need to complete the quiz on their book in school.
- In class, children will do regular Reading Comprehension tasks.
- IPEELL and Sentence Stacking are used to teach all units in English.
- Children complete a Cold Task at the beginning of a unit, an Amber task in the middle and a Hot Task at the end.
- They score their work after each task.
- Regular analysis of texts happens during weekly lessons which covers the structure and language featured.
- Weekly handwriting lessons take place.
- Children are taught Maths in their classes.
- Planning and teaching will take into account your child’s confidence, level of understanding and pace of work.
- We teach to the same objectives to all children. Pace and teaching and challenge is matched to individual children.
- Challenge is for all children in our Maths lessons.
- The children choose from 3 chilli challenges to complete during each lesson where appropriate.
- Cracking times tables are given to children weekly to build up their knowledge of times tables up to 12 x 12.
- Homework tasks will be set on MyMaths (linked to the topics covered that week), and children are expected to use Times Tables Rock Stars at least 5 times per week.
The wider curriculum
- Our topics for Year 4 are: Ancient Egyptians, Mountains and Romans.
- We also look at these topics within our ICT, English and Art lessons.
- We include Wow days and practical experiences whenever we can.
- Year 4 have specific Egyptians and Roman Days during the year to engage the children’s interest.
- Our Science units for Year 4 are: Living Things and Habitats, Animals including Humans, Electricity, Sound, and Solids, Liquids and Gases.
- Children will bring home a reading book every day – please support them with regular reading at home. 20 minutes reading each day will help them develop as good readers.
- Reading Records to be completed by the children 6 times per week. Comments could include: what they liked or disliked about the text, predictions, links to their own life…
- Spellings will begin in week 2.
- Evidence of spelling practice should be found in books.
- MyMaths (weekly) and TTRS (daily).
Home / school communication
- There will be parents evenings in October and February.
- There will be written reports in the Spring and Summer terms.
- We have an open door policy – we will meet your child at the door and see them out to you every evening and will be happy to receive quick verbal messages in the morning, or to have a longer chat in the afternoons.
- Please speak to us about any concerns you have, as most things can be quickly resolved if we work together.
- Pale blue polo shirt or long or short sleeved shirt or blouse
- Grey Trousers, shorts, skirts or pinafore dress
- Navy blue sweatshirt
- Black shoes (no trainers or boots)
- In Summer, blue/white checked dress
Our PE days are Tuesdays and Thursdays. Children are to come to school in their PE uniform and school shoes (trainers should be left in school for the half term) on these days.
- Plain navy blue t-shirt.
- Navy shorts
- Plimsolls or black trainers
- As above +
- Plain dark tracksuit / joggers / sweatshirt top
- Earrings need to be removed or taped for all PE sessions.
- Named water bottles – all year please.
- Please send reading book and Journal in each day.
- Please make sure your PE and school uniform is named.
- Please make sure your child has appropriate warm clothing for outdoor PE at all times.
How can you support at home?
- Regular reading.
- Support and join in with homework.
- Support with spelling.
- Support with My Maths tasks.
- Regular times table practice and telling the time at home with your child.
- Communicate with us quickly about any issues or concerns you have – you know your child best of all….
The Year 4 team look forward to working closely with you over the next year to ensure the continued happiness and progress of your children.