Welcome to Year 4
- In Year 4 the teachers are Miss Lefebvre and Miss Denial
- We will be supported by several LSAs – Mrs Hill, Miss Connolly, Miss Addley and Mrs Sinclair.
- Mrs Chapman will be teaching Miss Lefebvre’s class on a Thursday morning.
- Our year 6 champions are Tamzin and Florence.
- Your child will spend a whole day in their new classroom with their new teachers in July.
- We make regular contact with the children in the classrooms and playground over the second half of the Summer term.
- There will be meetings between teachers.
- Detailed records of attainment and next steps will be passed on. Also valuable information about the children’s individual needs and ways of learning.
- Many routines during the week will continue in the same way for your child.
- Assembly each day
- Library once a week or daily for children on Accelerated Reader
- ICT once a week in the computing room
- PE twice a week, indoor and outdoor
- Playtimes and lunchtimes
- As in previous years we set our expectations high – for your child’s progress and attainment and for behaviour.
- In Year 4 we use Golden tickets as part of behaviour system to reinforce positive behaviours with an end of week reward.
- We will use positive reinforcement of our expectations as the first step in maintaining good behaviour.
- Any unacceptable behaviour will be communicated to you verbally or via a thinking card we will send home.
- Each week a child will be selected to be Child of the Week. They will be presented with a certificate at an assembly you will be invited to and have tea with the Head Teacher.
- In Year 4 children have guided reading sessions.
- We put in place reading interventions for children if needed.
- Children will be using the Accelerated Reading programme during Year 4.
- They will have an Accelerated Reading book and a library book from the library.
- When they have completed their Accelerated Reading book, they will need to complete the quiz on their book in school.
- In class, children will do regular Reading Comprehension tasks.
- IPEELL is used to teach all units in English.
- Children complete a Cold Task at the beginning of a unit, an Amber task in the middle and a Hot Task at the end.
- They score their work after each task.
- Regular analysis of texts happens during weekly lessons which covers the structure and language featured.
- Weekly handwriting lessons take place.
- Children are taught Maths in their mixed ability classes.
- Planning and teaching will take into account your child’s confidence, level of understanding and pace of work.
- We teach to the same objectives to all children. Pace and teaching and challenge is matched to individual children.
- Challenge is for all children in our Maths lessons.
- The children choose from 3 chilli challenges to complete during each lesson where appropriate.
- Cracking times tables are given to children weekly to build up their knowledge of times tables up to 12 x 12.
The wider curriculum
- Our topics for Year 4 are: Ancient Egyptians, Mountains and Romans.
- We also look at these topics within our ICT, English and Art lessons.
- We include Wow days and practical experiences whenever we can.
- Year 4 have specific Egyptians and Roman Days during the year to engage the children’s interest.
- Our Science units for Year 4 are: Living Things and Habitats, Animals including Humans, Electricity, Sound and Solids, Liquids and Gases.
- Year 4 will go on a residential to Woodrow during the Summer Term.
- Children will bring home a reading book every day – please support them with regular reading at home. 20 minutes reading each day will help them develop as good readers.
- Spellings will begin in week 2.
- We will also set tasks on “My Maths” during half terms.
- Homework will be given out on the first Friday on the half term in their homework books.
- Children should choose a task from the homework sheet to complete each week.
- Books should be handed in for marking on a Wednesday and will be returned on Friday.
- Evidence of spelling practise should be found in books.
Home / school communication
- There will be parents evenings in October and February.
- There will be written reports in the Spring and Summer terms.
- We have an open door policy – we will meet your child at the door and see them out to you every evening and will be happy to receive quick verbal messages in the morning or to have a longer chat in the afternoons.
- Please speak to us about any concerns you have – as most things can be quickly resolved if we work together.
- Pale blue polo shirt or long or short sleeved shirt or blouse
- Grey Trousers, shorts, skirts or pinafore dress
- Navy blue sweatshirt
- Black shoes (no trainers or boots)
- In Summer, blue/white checked dress
- Plain navy blue t-shirt.
- Navy shorts
- Plimsolls or black trainers
- As above +
- Plain dark tracksuit / joggers / sweatshirt top
- Earrings need to be removed or taped for all PE sessions.
- Water bottles – all year please.
- Pencil cases should be able to fit inside your child’s draw.
- Please send reading book and diary in each day.
- PE kit should remain in school. We will send home each half term for a wash.
- Please make sure your PE kit and school uniform is named.
- Please make sure your child has appropriate warm clothing for outdoor PE at all times.
How can you support at home?
- Regular reading
- Support and join in with homework
- Support with spelling
- Support with My Maths tasks
- Regular times table practice and telling the time at home with your child.
- Communicate with us quickly about any issues or concerns you have – you know your child best of all….
The Year 4 team look forward to working closely with you over the next year to ensure the continued happiness and progress of your children.
Work to do at home
In case of school closure, we have prepared a sheet of fun and educational activities to do at home – please see below.
Also, the following tasks have been set on Purple Mash and MyMaths for the children to do over the next week. Teachers will then be able to review and respond to the work.
Start date: 23.03.20. Due date: 30.03.20
Purple Mash: Monster Multiplication, Multiplying Numbers Ending ‘0’, Three Toed Sloth Factfile and Describing Lambs.
MyMaths: Rounding to 10, 100 and Estimates with Decimals.