Welcome to Year 3
Year 3 are taught by Miss Crofts, Mrs Epps and Mrs Pool. The children are supported by Mrs Grant, Mrs Robins, Miss Connolly, Mrs Langley and Mrs Heal.
- Children should arrive in school between 8:40 and 8:50am and should be picked up at 3:15pm
- Lining up – children should line up outside the Year 3 classrooms in class lines (by the bollards).
- End of the day – children will be collected by a recognised adult from the classroom doors.
- Children should bring a healthy snack for break times – fruit/veg only please, dried or fresh.
- Most lessons are taught by class teachers. Mr Higgs takes the children for PE on a Friday afternoon.
- Children are responsible for their own reading books, reading quizzes and should ask to change or complete either of these. They will always be given time in the school day however, reading quizzes can now be completed at home.
- Reading daily – out loud to an adult or discussing reading with an adult, recording pages read and a comment in School issued Reading Records please.
- Practising times tables – focusing on 2x, 5x, 10x then 3x, 4x, 8x. If the multiplication and division facts for all of these are secure, children should move on to 6x tables, 7x tables and 9x tables. The children have access to Times Tables Rockstars to help with this practice.
- Maths homework is an online MyMaths task, set occasionally.
- Occasionally, we may set a Topic or Science homework. This will usually run over more than one week.
- All homework should be completed regularly.
- Reading Records should be handed in every Monday morning (children will be reminded).
- Parents should support their child with homework and help them manage the organisation of the tasks and handing-in expectations.
- Named, non-spill, sports style water bottle. Please remember that children should only bring water for their classroom drink.
PE kit and requirements
Children will need:
- Due to restrictions in place within school, due to Covid-19, – we are asking all children to come into school dressed in PE kits for the days they have PE – September 2021 Year 3 PE days are Wednesday and Friday. Children should have trainers in school, so there is a spare pair of shoes in school in case a change of shoes is needed due to mud etc.
- Navy blue short-sleeved t-shirt
- Navy shorts
- Supportive Trainers for suitable for use on the school field – Plimsolls are not suitable for KS2 PE lessons.
- Spare socks (particularly girls, who may be wearing tights)
- Plain Dark tracksuit for outdoor PE when the weather dictates.
- All long hair must be tied back.
- All earrings should be removed for PE. If earrings cannot be removed, children must bring surgical tape and cover their earrings for the lesson.
What’s new in key stage 2?
- French – taught by the class teacher on a weekly basis – basic greetings and vocabulary
- Pen licences – awarded when children are demonstrating neat handwriting across all subjects and the ability to edit and correct work neatly as well.
- A gradually increased expectation for children to work independently and take more responsibility for their own organisation (homework – Reading and Times Tables, equipment, relaying messages)
How can you help?
- Please encourage your child to be more independent.
- Read with them daily (or discuss what they’re reading independently,) including questioning them on their understanding.
- Rehearse, quiz and chant times tables with your child (they should know 2x, 5x, 10x, 3x, 4x, 8x by the end of Year 3).
- Complete the Reading Record each week to share your child’s reading – we ask for 5 reads each week to be completed at home.
- Please use Class Dojo to aid communication between home and school.
Make sure all belongings are clearly named – we stand a much higher chance of reuniting your child with their property if this is done!
Year 3 Maths Knowledge Organisers
Year 3 English Knowledge Organisers
Year 3 Foundation Subject Knowledge Organisers