Coronavirus – update Friday 13th March 2020
What do do if you have mild symptoms of illness
The government has issued new guidance on what to do if you have mild symptoms of the virus and we have received the following advice from the Director of Public Health at Buckinghamshire County Council, which we will be adhering to in school.
To prevent the spread of Coronavirus and protect others
If you, a member of your staff or a pupil have the following symptoms of coronavirus infection (COVID-19), even if they are mild:
New continuous cough
and / or
Temperature of over 37.8
· Stay at home and not leave their house for 7 days from when the symptoms started.
· They do not need to call NHS 111 if the symptoms are mild
· They will not be routinely tested unless they have risk factors relating to their age or medical history.
· If they have serious symptoms they cannot manage at home they should use NHS 111 online
· After 7 days of self-isolation, if they feel better and no longer have a high temperature they can return to their normal routine.
· If they have not got better after 7 days and have not already sought medical advice, use NHS111 online before leaving home or letting visitors in.
· Cough may persist for several weeks in some people, despite the coronavirus infection having cleared. A persistent cough alone does not mean someone must continue to stay at home for more than 7 days.
- Wash hands regularly for 20 seconds, each time using soap and water.
- Stay away from vulnerable individuals such as the elderly and those with underlying health conditions as much as possible.
- PLEASE NOTE: Travel history and contact with possible cases is no longer considered an important factor so anyone who has been staying at home for that reason can resume normal life (so long as you have no symptoms).
Guidance for schools
The government has also stated that schools are advised not to close – this could do more harm than good but it is under review and may change as the disease spreads. Schools should only close if advised to do so.
Our advice to parents
As per the update we sent out last Friday, if your child is kept at home because they have contracted the virus then please keep the school fully informed as per our normal sickness absence procedures. You should contact the school prior to the child’s return to school.