Special educational needs
Kate Rigby is the SENDCo at Winslow Church of England School and can be contacted via the school office 01296 712296 or by email email@example.com
“SEN is a huge priority in the school and sits at the core of the planning of the school and learning environment.” (School Improvement Advisor)
At Winslow we are committed to making sure that children who require additional support are well provided for. As such, staff receive regular update training on SEND provision and SEND across our school is coordinated by a highly skilled SENDCo who has National Accreditation.
We know that all children need different forms of support at various stages of their school career and we believe that each pupil has individual and unique ways to achieve their full potential.
Our school aims to be an inclusive school and adjustments are made to the learning environment and to the curriculum to ensure that children with Special Educational Needs can achieve as well as others in the school.
The following link takes you to our ‘Local Offer’, as published on the Bucks CC website:
Please also view our SEND policy, available below to download.
A child has special educational needs if he or she has a learning difficulty, which calls for special educational provision to be made for her or him. A child has a learning difficulty if he or she:
- Has significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age or
- Has a disability which prevents or hinders them from making full use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for children of the same age in school.
- Is under compulsory school age and falls within the definition above or would do so if special educational provision was not made for them.
- In addition we identify special educational needs within the context of the usual differentiated curriculum within the school. Children are identified as having SEND if they are not making progress within a curriculum that:
- Sets suitable learning challenges
- Responds to pupils’ diverse learning needs
- Overcomes potential barriers to learning
The Voice of the Child
As a school we value the views of all our children. We encourage children who require additional support to play an active role when planning support and provision.
Parents have an important role to play
We value parents’ knowledge, views and first-hand experience and we see parents as active partners in the educational process. All parents are welcome to contact the SENDCO if they have any concerns about special educational provision.
Admission Arrangements for Pupils with SEN or Disabilities
As the admissions authority for our school, the Buckinghamshire Admissions & Transport Team should be contacted in the first instance should you wish to apply for a place at our school for your child. This is the same for all children, regardless of whether or not they have a SEN or Disability.
Children who are ‘Looked After’ by a Local Authority, and children with either a Statement of SEN or an Education Healthcare Plan (EHCP), will qualify for a place at our school above all other applications (in the event of a waiting list, and if our school is named by the Local Authority on a statement or EHCP), as these two groups of children are our first and second priorities in our admissions criteria.
Please download our Winslow Church of England School Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Report
September 2021 (below) for further information.
SEND Policy 2022