School and church
Mrs Colmer’s Child of the Week Assembly
I have been asked if I would mind uploading my Child of the Week assemblies onto the website each week. I hope you enjoy them!
Child of the Week Assemblies 2020-21
- Advent 22 November 2021
- The Flying Problem 15 November 2021
- In Flander’s Fields the Poppies Blow 8 November 2021
- Remember, Remember the 5th of November 1 November 2021
- Spit and Polish 18 October 2021
- Habit of Silence 11 October 2021
- Fishing – a quiet pass time 4 October 2021
- Harvest Moon 27 September 2021
- Problem – Solve it 20 September 2021
- The Space Race 13 September 2021
- Attitude and Ambition 2 September 2021
- Small Man, Big Welcome 6 September 2021
Previous Assemblies 2020 Lockdown
Don’t Worry – It’ll be Ok 29 June 2020
Greta and the Giants 22 June 2020
Do You Believe in Yourself? 22 June 2020
You are Awesome – 15 June 2020
Black Lives Matter – 8 June 2020
Rev Mark’s Little Acorns – Fridays
- Creation- Day 5– 16.07.2021
- Creation- Day 4– 09.07.2021
- Creation- The Sea; The lands; The Plants – 02.07.2021
- Creation- The Sky– 25.06.2021
- Creation- Light – 18.06.2021
- Pentecost – 28.05.2021
- Ascension– 21.05.2021
- Julian of Norwich– 14.05.2021
- Having a lark praising St Mark!– 07.05.2021
- What might Numbers in the Bible mean? 30.04.2021
- The Road To Emmaus- 23.04.2021
- Palm Sunday – 02.04.2021
- St Patrick – 26.03.2021
- Mothering Sunday – 19.03.2021
- Our Pilgrimage Through Lent– 26.02.2021
- Remembering an Irish saint, St. Brigid– – 12.02.2021
- What’s in a name? – 29.01.2021
- Candlemas – 05.02.2021
- King Herod 22.01.2021
Picture News- Thursdays
Picture News 2021-2022
Old Picture News
- Picture News– 15.07.2021
- Picture News– 08.07.2021
- Picture News – 01.07.2021
- Picture News – 24.06.2021
- Picture News- 17.06.2021
- Picture News– 10.06.2021
- Picture News – 27.05.2021
- Picture News – 20.05.2021
- Picture News – 13.05.2021
- Picture News– 06.05.2021
- Picture News – 29.04.2021
- Picture News – 22-04.2021
- Picture News –01.04.2021
- Picture News – 25.03.2021
- Picture News – 18.03.2021
- Picture News – 11.03.2021
- Picture News– 04.03.2021
- Picture news– 25.02.2021
- Picture News – 11.02.2021
- Picture News – 04.02.2021
- Picture News – 28.01.2021
- Picture News – 21.01.2021
- Picture News – – 14.01.2021
- Picture news – 07.01.2021
Online assembly during 2020 lockdown!
We are incredibly grateful to Rev Andrew Lightbown for providing a weekly online assembly in which we can all share during this period of Lockdown. Where he mentions additional resources, we will try to create links to these so that you can enjoy some of the follow up ideas he mentions.
- Assembly Week 1 – Stillness
- Assembly Week 2 – Gratitude
- Assembly Week 3 – Patience
- Assembly Week 4 – Arrow Prayers
- Assembly Week 5 – Rogation
- Assembly Week 6 – Holy Spirit
A message from Rev Andrew Lightbown, Rector of St Laurence Church
Working with and in Winslow Church of England School is one of the many delights of parish ministry.
The school works hard to embed a distinctively Christian ethos at the heart of which is the belief that every child, and indeed member of the school community, is to be valued and treasured. The Christian impulse behind this is the belief that all are made in the image of God (Genesis 1, 26).
I work alongside Derry, our director of music, in leading worship on a Friday morning and am also regularly in the school for the very popular ‘any questions;’ an opportunity for the children to ask me anything they would like to about the nature of faith, my beliefs, or Christianity. The agenda is entirely the children’s.
I am also delighted that we are able to provide a pastoral chaplaincy facility into the school. We are always happy to speak to children, parents or teachers about any pressing concerns.
As a parish priest I enjoy helping the children to think issues through and to engage with the big and difficult questions, and I also enjoy seeing the children flourish. This sense of flourishing is captured in the biblical injunction to ‘let your light shine,’ (Matthew 5, 16)
A message from Derry French, Director of Music at St. Laurence Church
As Director of Music at St. Laurence, I look forward to my weekly visits to the school to lead the collective worship. The children respond well and eagerly to my questions and participate joyfully in stories, hymns and songs. They are very fond of interactive stories from the Bible. The junior section of the choir at St. Laurence is formed mainly from pupils at the school.
Each year group visits church once a year to have an assembly where the parents can attend, and the church is always packed. The whole school also visits for a special assembly during the church festival in June, with the choir and organ, and that is a truly humbling experience.
Various year groups also visit the church to learn more about the history of the church and the symbolism of various objects.
When you enter Winslow Church of England School you get a very strong impression fo the Christian ethos from staff and children. It is the highlight of my week to visit such a vibrant school.
Director of Music
St. Laurence Church
Welcome to our 2020 Harvest Gallery where you’ll be pleased to see how busy our children have all been this Harvest week!
This week we have been celebrating Harvest across the different year groups in school. We have been amazed at the interests shone by the children across various year groups and are delighted to say that the children have had opportunities to take part in outside Mossy Church type activities, focusing on an environmental theme.
The children have shared stories on the meaning of Harvest and have looked at the biblical connection between sharing at harvest time and God’s love towards us. Others have created bible stories relating to harvest and have used natural items to write words.Here are some pictures compiled so far: